Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

032-0019 Melrose

Melrose
Photo credit: Elizabeth Lipford/DHR, 2022

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/14/2000

NRHP Listing Date 08/14/2000

DHR's Virginia Board of Historic Resources easement

NRHP Reference Number 00000892

Melrose was built by Charles Alexander Scott in 1813 near his mill on the James River in Fluvanna County. Scott was a member of the locally prominent family that operated Scott’s Landing and founded Scottsville. The Federal-style, two-story, center-hall brick house has Flemish bond above and American bond below its water table. Melrose is sited very dramatically at the top of a series of earthen terraces rising above the Seven Islands section of the river, which can be heard but not seen from the house. A fire in 1836 destroyed much of the interior, but Melrose was quickly restored within the original walls and most of the interior trim from this period survives. The slate roof probably was installed at the same time.


Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark


Updated: April 28, 2022