Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

127-0022 Linden Row

Linden Row
Photo credit: Calder Loth, 2020

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 07/06/1971

NRHP Listing Date 11/23/1971

NRHP Reference Number 71001061

The British concept of connected town houses, or a terrace, is effectively interpreted in red brick and crisp wooden trim on Linden Row, a block of architecturally unified dwellings in downtown Richmond, designed by Otis Manson. Named for the linden trees that once shaded a garden on the site, the original eastern five houses were erected as a business venture by Fleming James in 1847. The block was completed in 1853 by Samuel and Alexander Rutherfoord. The simple, straightforward facades serve to set off the beautifully executed Greek Doric entrance porticoes. Linden Row was long a sought-after address, housing families, schools, and businesses. The two easternmost houses were demolished in 1922. Between 1950 and 1957 the remaining houses were purchased by Richmond preservationist Mary Wingfield Scott, who in 1980 gave Linden Row to the Historic Richmond Foundation. The row has since been restored as the Linden Row Inn.

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: September 22, 2021